Well what is alt text? Alternative Text (Alt Text) is an attribute that can be added to an image's HTML tag on a Web page. This text appears inside the image container when the image cannot be displayed.
Usually skipped or forgotten, It’s important and necessary to add alt text to your images on your website, it helps improve accessibility and user experience and will provide greater relevance to search engines about your content and help drive traffic to your site.
Alt text plays a major role in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and the keywords should be relevant to the image with no more than 125 characters.
Adding Alt Text to Images in Shopify:
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
- Find the theme that you want to edit and click Customize.
- From the theme editor toolbar, click the section with the image that needs alt text.
- Below the image, click Edit:
- In the dialog, enter the alt text, and then click Save.
- In the top right corner of the theme editor, click Save.
Adding Alt Text to Images in Wordpress:
- Log in to your WordPress website.
- Open the post or page to edit the content.
- Click on the pencil ‘Edit’ icon for the image.
You will see a row of icons where the pencil icon allows you to edit the image details.
- Add or edit the ‘Alternative Text’ field.
A window will open called ‘Image Details’. Add or edit the ‘Alternative Text’ field so it contains the focus keyphrase.
- Click ‘Update’.
- Repeat this for all images on the page.
Alternatively, you can switch to the ‘Text’ tab and manually add or change the alt tag: alt=”ALT_TAG_GOES_HERE
Contact us to discuss an SEO strategy for your business.